Living in a tiny house is not an excuse to stop exercising or staying fit. People who work out in a big gym often use a power rack to perform a variety of exercises. But what happens when space is limited?
Squat racks are the answer.
Squat racks are mini versions of power racks. They’re smaller in size with fewer features but are still useful pieces of equipment. They’re perfect for squats and other barbell workouts like floor presses, bench presses, and clean pulls.
They often feature support pillars, safety catches, and a barbell holder – all of which help you to safely lift heavy weights even without a power rack.
Squat racks can be made in several styles. There are wall-mounted sets, cages, and posts. Weight benches, cable pulley systems, and pull-up bars are some examples of optional accessories that can be included in certain models.
In this blog post, we will discuss the best squat rack for small spaces. We will also cover all the factors you need to consider when choosing a squat rack for a small space. Whether you’re just getting started or you’re looking for an upgrade, read on for the best squat rack recommendations.
Quick Rundown of the Best Squat Racks for Small Spaces
- Best foldable rack: PRx Performance Murphy Foldable Squat Rack
- Most versatile squat rack: Doeplex Multi-Function Adjustable Squat Rack
- Most adjustable rack: Akyen Adjustable Squat Rack Stand
- Best adjustable rack with a high weight capacity: PRx Performance Fold-in ONE Squat Rack
- Most stable squat rack: F2C Adjustable and Sturdy Squat Rack
Review of Our Top 5 Picks
If you need a premium squat rack to use in a small garage, room, or gym, then the wall-mounted PRx Performance Murphy Foldable Squat Rack is made just for you. This rack is made of quality steel and can hold up to a thousand pounds.
It is quite durable and takes up very little floor space. All you need is a wall to mount the rack on and then you can get started exercising right away.
Thanks to its folding technology, you can easily collapse the rack against the wall when you’re done. This way to rack takes up even less space when not in use.
This is rack easy to assemble comes with all the necessary installation equipment and instructions.
The rack stands 90 inches tall and extends 20 inches from the wall when it is in use. When folded up, it stands 108 inches tall and only extends 4 inches from the wall.
Note that you would need a ceiling space of up to 108 inches to be able to fold the squat rack into the wall.
- The unit is a wall-mounted squat rack
- It has a patented design that makes it foldable when not in use
- The rack can hold up to 1,000 pounds in weight
- It has a black coating
- The product comes with a pair of J-Cups
- Its impressive weight capacity helps you go all-in with your weight lifting program.
- Its wall-mounted design means that you don’t have to worry about it taking up space.
- It is easy to install.
- It has excellent pull-up bars.
- Its sturdy steel construction means that you can expect to get your money’s worth in terms of durability.
- It is a bit pricey.
The Murphy Squat Rack is an excellent option for whoever is looking for a foldable rack that can be tucked away when not in use.
It is excellent for squats, bench presses, dip, and much more.
The rack also has up to 12 height adjustment levels from 46.8 inches to 70.1 inches to accommodate persons of varying heights. The width of the squat rack is also adjustable from 30.3 inches to 48 inches.
It features several key enhancements such as rubber padding, adjustable nobs, and anti-slip grips to ensure maximum durability and safety for both you and your workout area.
The squat rack is black and red and features a retractable base.
- The rack has 12 height levels and adjustable width
- It weighs close to 51 pounds and has a weight limit of 550 pounds
- It has a heavy-duty steel construction
- Comes with features such as rubber pads and anti-slip grips
- It is quite affordable.
- The different height levels mean that just about anyone of any height can use it.
- The adjustable width and base help to ensure that it doesn’t take any more gym space than is necessary.
- Its black and red colors give an energetic and sporty look to it.
- The rubber pads, adjustable nobs, and anti-slip grips ensure that you don’t have to worry about your safety or damage to your workout area.
- This piece of gym equipment is not suitable for lifting heavier weights.
The Doeplex Squat Rack is an excellent choice for those who need a squat rack that is adjustable for a wide range of heights.
With its adjustable height and width, it can easily be tailored to fit the needs of any individual. It’s also small enough to fit in rooms with limited space.
The rack is made of high-quality materials and features a comfortable grip that will prevent hand fatigue. Additionally, the squat rack features a safety knot technology that will keep it in place during use and prevent the rack from shaking.
The rack can withstand long-term use and will comfortably hold weights of up to 850 pounds.
Lastly, the triangular design of the rack makes it safe and stable for any exercise routine.
- The rack features anti-slip designs
- The upright posts are made from durable steel construction.
- It has up to 15 adjustable heights from 46 inches-72 inches.
- The rack has 4 Adjustable Widths from 25 inches-43 inches.
- The sturdy rack has a T-shape Base
- It can hold a significant amount of weight of up to 850 pounds.
- The rack utilizes safety knot technology to ensure that the inner and outer square tubes are well tightened and won’t shake.
- It has comfortable hand grips that increase friction and minimize hand fatigue.
- It is durable and reliable.
- The rack supports the performance of several different exercises.
- Some users may find the installation instructions a little hard to follow.
If you need a quality squat rack for your home gym that won’t take up a ton of space, then look no further than the AKYEN squat rack!
It’s made of sturdy 14-gauge steel and can hold up to 1,000 lbs, making it perfect for any home gym. The pull-up bar is easily adjustable and allows you to set it to your ideal height.
The rack stands 90 inches tall and extends 27.5 inches away from the wall when it is in use. When folded up, it stands 90 inches tall and only 6.5 inches away from the wall.
Keep in mind that you would need a ceiling space of up to 91 inches to be able to fold the squat rack into the wall.
- It has an adjustable pull-up bar
- The rack has a 1,000 lbs weight capacity
- It weighs 123 pounds
- It has a patented design that makes it foldable when not in use
- The rack comes in black powdered coating
- The adjustable height levels make it possible for almost everyone to use it, regardless of their height.
- Since it’s wall-mounted, you won’t have to worry about it taking up too much room.
- It’s simple to set up.
- It’s built of heavy gauge steel, so you know you’ll get your money’s worth in terms of longevity.
- Some users feel that the rack does not come out far enough from the wall.
The PRx Performance Fold-in ONE Squat Rack is a sturdy and adjustable, wall-mounted squat rack that takes up minimal space.
These barbell stands are made of sturdy metal. They can be adjusted for each individual’s height and suit most users’ workout needs. The “H” shaped bases also provide excellent stability.
When fatigue sets in, the safety catch bars serve as a spotter and safety measure. Rubber end caps provide traction and help protect the floor from scratches and scuffs.
The racks can be adjusted into 14 positions to fit each person’s height and can hold up to 550 pounds of weight.
The top bracket features a J-Hook Design to keep the barbell in place on the rack and you can quickly raise or lower the racks from 40 inches – 66 inches with the simple functional design.
The rack is also easy to assemble and comes with full instructions and all mounting hardware.
- Can support up to 550 pounds
- The rack’s height is easily adjustable
- Has a solid steel construction
- The base has an H-frame design
- It has rubber padded end caps for more grip
- The soft rubber pads ensure that you won’t have to worry about damaging your floors.
- The different height levels mean that just about anyone can use it.
- The safety spotters are constructed from the same high-grade steel as the posts and can prevent serious accidents when exercising.
- The “H” design is welded to the frame base to prevent it from wobbling.
- The rack can only hold up a maximum weight of 550 pounds.
This rack is best for whoever is looking to save up on much-needed floor space and wants a rack that they can easily hide away when not in use.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Squat Rack
There are several factors to consider when purchasing a squat rack. The best squat racks for small spaces will be designed with these in mind. Here is a list of factors that you should take into consideration before buying a squat rack:
When choosing the size of a squat rack, keep in mind any additional space necessary for your workout or to attach accessories like a weight bench.
If you are quite limited on floor space, then you might want to consider going for squat racks that you can fold away when they are not in use. This will help to save on space in your home gym.
When not in use, these small squat racks fold flat against the wall and take up little floor space. Typically, you can alsoAKYEN Adjustable Squat Rack Stand, bench workouts, and suspension training like their bigger counterparts.
Consider what height best suits your space. This could affect whether or not it’s possible to fold up the stand against the wall after use.
If you’re taller than average, you may want to avoid stands that have too low of an adjustable height range.
How much weight do you intend to lift? This is an important question to ask before purchasing a squat rack. All racks, especially small ones, have a maximum weight capacity that they can hold.
If you are planning on lifting strong-man level weights, then you will need to make sure that the rack can accommodate this.
You don’t want to buy a rack that can’t hold the weight you need it to. For example, if you are planning on squatting 400 pounds, make sure the rack is rated for at least 500 pounds.
When it comes to construction quality, you want to make sure that the frame is made of high-quality steel. This is to ensure that the rack is durable and sturdy enough to support your weightlifting routine.
A good way to test this is to see if the frame wobbles when you try and shake it.
If it does wobble, then that’s an indication that it’s not made of high-quality steel and is more likely to break under heavy loads.
Another thing to look for is powder coating. Powder coating is a stronger, more durable, and more resistant finish than paint, and it’s perfect for products that need to endure harsh weather conditions or withstand years of use.
Having a powder-coated squat rack means that it would be protected from rust and corrosion.
This is important as it will stop the frame from degrading over time and ensure that your squat rack lasts for years to come.
Ease of Assembly
You’ll also want to consider the ease of assembly before making your purchase.
Some racks are incredibly easy to assemble, while others can be a bit more complicated. If you are not very handy, then you might want to consider going for an easier-to-assemble rack.
Racks that require more assembly may also come with confusing instructions which could lead to frustration.
Make sure to read some customer reviews to get an idea of how easy (or hard) it is to assemble the particular squat rack you’re considering buying.
Consider how you want to use your squat rack.
Do you want to use it for squats, bench presses, and pull-ups? Or do you only need it for squats? Some squat racks are more versatile than others and come with additional features.
If you’re still in the middle of building your routine, look for a model with attachments and accessory options that you can add in the future.
Price is always an important factor to take into consideration when making a purchase.
The best squat rack for small spaces doesn’t have to be expensive – there are plenty of affordable options available on the market.
However, you don’t want a low-cost squat rack that can’t handle a significant amount of weight. If you come across a squat rack that appears to be significantly less expensive than others, it should make you stop and think for a minute.
Just make sure you’re not compromising on the quality of the rack just for its price tag.
Last but not least, always make sure that the squat rack comes with a warranty. This way, if something does go wrong with the product, you can have it repaired or replaced without any hassle.
FAQ on Best Squat Racks to Purchase
What Does a Squat Rack Do?
A squat rack’s primary goal is to assist you in increasing the amount of weight you can lift. It lets you load the bar with amounts of weight that you would not be able to get into position otherwise.
Can You Bench on a Squat Rack?
Yes. You just need to make sure you have your squat stand set up correctly and don’t exceed maximum weight capacity. You’ll want to set the safety bars to be an inch above your chest to ensure that they will catch the bar if you fail.
What Does a Squat Rack Look Like?
Squat racks come in a variety of forms and sizes, although the most frequent type is two vertical uprights connected by a horizontal pole.
How Tall Should a Ceiling be for a Squat Rack?
The space above the rack should be at least 6” to ensure a good fit. If you want to use the pull-up bar at the top of the rack, you’ll need an additional 12”-18” for headroom.
What Safety Features Should a Squat Rack Have?
A rack should have a spot where you can attach spotter arms, especially if you train alone.
Spotter arms not only keep you safe if you have to bail a lift, but they also give you a boost of confidence. They might help remove any psychological barriers that might prevent you from achieving a new PR or performing sets of maximum reps.
Anti-slip grips and rubberized feet are also helpful safety mechanisms.
It’s best to consider your needs and budget before making a purchase. You’ll need to take into account size, versatility, price, warranty, safety features, and assembly time when purchasing the best squat rack for small spaces to ensure you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
Our top pick is the PRx Performance Murphy Foldable Squat Rack because it doesn’t sacrifice any features for the sake of saving space. It has an impressive weight capacity, includes a pull-up bar, and can be easily stowed away against the wall when it is not in use.